Lately Oscar and Tilly have been digging holes under our fence (because apparently stray cats swat at them under the fence…I’m serious! I’ve seen it) and trotting around the neighborhood.
So…Groggily we got up, changed the sheets, and gave Tilly a little pet to let her know she wasn’t in trouble.
She continued to throw up all night and we continued to be more annoyed. It didn’t really strike us that she could be really sick.
The next morning, we covered all the holes in the back yard and had her stay out there for a while to get the rest of her throw up out. I watched from the window as she paced back and forth, bath and forth, back and forth. I knew something was seriously wrong with our Tilly girl, but still (stupidly) thought it would be okay once she got some food and water down.
The next morning, we went to pick Tilly up to transfer her to her normal vet. She was there a few hours when they called us to say that since it was the weekend, we had to transfer her to yet another vet who did overnight and weekend care. Talk about frustrating.
As the night progressed, we found out that Tilly had been having seizures (that the other two vets failed to tell us about..What!)… The vet said it seemed as if Tilly had gotten into poison of some sort, and that things could go bad very quickly. And they did.
She continued having seizures all night long and into the next day. Some were within the same hour, and one even lasted for seven minutes. We were heart broken. Our vet even told us to start thinking about making “hard decisions”…So, Tyler and I knew what we needed to do. We were going to put her down. We didn’t want her to suffer any more.
When the vet called the next time, we told her that if Tilly had another seizure, we wanted to come in and say our goodbyes.
After we hung up the phone, Tyler and I finally let ourselves cry. Tilly brought so much happiness into our lives. She was our baby before we could conceive a real one. And now, just like that, she was going to be gone. It didn’t seem fair, but we knew we were making the right decision.
Just as we were about to leave, we decided to say a family prayer. Tyler said it and he asked that Tilly would be comfortable and that obviously we wanted her to get better, but that we would understand if it were her time to go.
After the prayer, we both felt so much peace. We knew that no matter what happened, we would be okay.
This was amazing to me. It was so cool to see first hand my prayers being answered.
But… Tilly is healthy as can be. She has no long lasting problems from her seizures
and we are so happy.